Saturday, November 1, 2014

Shibuya

Hello everyone!

Today my subject is Shibuya (渋谷) Adventures! Shibuya is one of the more famous places in Tokyo. and one that is worth going to if one has the time. So what’s there to do in Shibuya? A few different things really and enough that anyone could find something to do there. To start, there are two big department stores called Shibuya 109 Women’s and Shibuya 109 Men’s (I haven’t really explored either, but they are there), among many others as well.

(Shibuya 109 Women's)

Bunkamura theatre is also located there (see my post "In The Heights" for more on Bunkamura) and has various shows there from time to time. Bunkamura Website Here: www.bunkamura.co.jp/

(Shibuya Softbank with Bunkamura in the Background)

If you live in Japan and don’t speak any Japanese, Shibuya also has one of the few Softbank stores where you can get English service (while I can’t endorse Softbank for internet services, their phone lines have not failed me).


I have heard that there is also a Butler Café in the area, but not one that anyone really recommends (people say it’s very touristy and not exactly what people are looking for when they hear the term “Butler Café”; I have an upcoming post about another one though in Ikebukuro that I do recommend, so stay tuned!)

 (A shot of one of Shibuya's Big Screens)

There is also the Shibuya Animate branch there. You have to hunt for it a bit (I was kinda lucky and just found it by accident). In the same building is a J Pop Café and a Mandrake Store. (It’s kinda one of those sketchy looking buildings that’s actually surprisingly safe since its Japan).

(shot of Shibuya Animate's UtaPri section)

Probably what Shibuya is most well-known for though is Hachiko (ハチ公). Hachiko, the Hachiko Exit, and the Square nearby are all very famous places and well known Tokyo spots. They are all right next to the Station. The Station itself has many lines connecting to the Shibuya area (including the famous and convenient Yamanote Line 山手線) , but after it’s reconstruction (I’ve been told), it is now, in my and many other people’s opinions, about one of the most poorly designed stations in Tokyo. At least it connects us to Hachiko though!

(Near the Hachiko Exit)

Wait, Hachi- who? For those who do not know who or what Hachiko is, Hachiko is a loyal dog that once lived in Shibuya. He and his master used to walk to the station, where they’d part and Hachiko would wait at the station until his master came home. One day, his master died at work. Hachiko didn’t know of course, so he stayed at the station. He stayed there for the rest of his life and that’s how he got the title of the most loyal dog in Japan. Today, there’s a famous statue of Hachiko that many people go to and take pictures by. (Hachiko is actually stuffed and his remains kept in the National Museum of Nature and Science in Tokyo, though I have not seen him there yet and personally, I think I’ll prefer the statue).

(Hachiko!)

My only thing about the statue and the area around is that a lot of smokers tend to congregate there. I don’t smoke and I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the smell (nor do I want to). So if there are too many there, I get a headache or find it unpleasant to stay there.

(General Shibuya Area)

The square though is worth seeing as giant screens and advertisements line the area. Think of it a bit like a smaller version of Times Square. One of my favorite ads that I saw there was the one for SHINee’s “I’m Your Boy” CD release. (Oh and behind that was a Big Bang Ad as well!) Near the advertisement though, a truck with a similar ad for SHINee’s new CD blasted music and made it’s way in rounds around the area. Way cool!


(SHINee's "I'm Your Boy" Ad in Shibuya's Main Square)

It’s also worth going into the Tsutaya across from the station. Tsutaya is a popular CD, DVD, and Book rental and sale store (something very popular here as if you live in Japan, your space is likely limited so people prefer renting items like CDs and DVDs over buying them). From inside, you can browse multiple DVDs, CDs, and books as well as look outside and see the Square from above. The Square is also one of those famous areas of Tokyo where they stop all roads of traffic so that the intersection can be crossed multiple ways by pedestrians all at once. So by going to Tsutaya, you can watch the crowds all crossing, much like a hive of bees suddenly set free to do what they need to do.

(View from Tsutaya)

Within the store itself, you can also listen to CDs too and see what’s popular. I liked seeing these popular titles in the Anime CD section as well as these popular singers having their owns sections too:

"Uta No Prince Sama" (うたのプリンスさま):


"Free: Eternal Summer!":


"Black Butler" (黒執事):


Mamoru Miyano (宮野真守):


Kalefina:


From time to time I’ve gone to Shibuya for various things. While I can’t say it’s my favorite place to go, I do not mind going there to run errands, chill, shop a bit, see a show, or visit Hachiko. If you’re visiting Japan, it’s a must see spot since it is so recognizable and has so much history. If you live here, it’s a great spot to relax and chill.


So in summary, whether you can go through all the Shibuya 109 shops plus some or only take a selfie with Hachiko, Shibuya is a worthwhile place to go and a memorable spot in this metropolis called Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment