Sunday, November 23, 2014

Okonomiyaki Shop

Hey everyone!

So this time I'm writing about a little event in which I joined my lovely friend Katie at Gottsui (ごっつい) in Roppongi, a Okonomiyaki shop near Roppongi Station (六本木駅). To give you an idea of location, it's actually just around the block from Blue Theater. (Now here's a question for you, why would Katie want to introduce me to this restaurant in particular, given its relative location? I shall leave that to your imagination.)

Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) is a Japanese Pancake (often associated with the Kansai area of Japan) meaning "What you like" and "Grilled" with various ingredients including flour, eggs, mayonnaise, cabbage, dashi, cheese, octopus, squid, shrimp, and sometimes noddles along with other ingredients. It is literally a pancake of what you like.

Gottsui is a small shop with an Osaka-like flair to it. In comparison to other places I've been to in Tokyo, it's much louder and closer together, but it is nice because it's non-smoking and if you go in a small party, you can sit at the counter and watch the chef cook your food. I wouldn't go there alone and at night, particularly because it is in Roppongi, which is not my favorite of places and not always very safe (in other words, if you're going at night, go with a friend like I did). However, I wouldn't mind going in the afternoon for a late lunch.

My experience eating at Gottsui was good. I enjoyed the attitude of the waiters and the food was delectable. Absolutely delicious and so big! When I went, I was starving, so I figured it would be possible to finish a whole Okonomiyaki by myself. No such luck. But it really was delicious and for dessert, actual pancakes with syrup stuffed inside them. Yum! The only downside to my experience was that on the other side the restaurant, I found myself unable to escape the gaze of a quiet drunk salaryman around the end of the evening (yes, uncomfortable). However, I can't say it really deterred me from having a good experience overall. The food was to die for and the waiters gave the place a great, fun atmosphere. It honestly made me want to try making my own Okonomiyaki!


Anyway, I hope you enjoy your day and eat something yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment