Sunday, November 16, 2014

Eyebrow Waxing In Japan

Hello again!

This is going to be a post where there's more words than pictures, but I felt the need to write about it. In the States, it is common for women to go get their eyebrows done (waxed, plucked, or threaded) every 2 weeks to 6 weeks, depending on the individual. I did so about every 4 weeks and normally, I could find a place to get my eyebrows done within a Nail Salon. 

So imagine my shock and unhappy state when I found out that waxing is not as popular in Japan. People generally shave their legs etc. and tweeze their eyebrows, if they choose to tweeze at all. That being said, there were no nearby places where I could get my eyebrows done within my area. Thankfully, I lived right next to Tokyo, so I was able to do some hunting to find "Waxing Studios".

In my research I found this: the average cost of getting your eyebrows waxed is 4000 Yen. OUCH!! That's about the equivalent of $40 USD. Sorry, but when I pay $8 at home, 4000 Yen sounds (and is) outrageous. So what's a girl to do? 

Two Things: Through some digging I found a couple places with more reasonable prices (ranging in about the 2000 Yen range). How? They were privately owned and run by individuals. Now considering that I still wasn't sure I could shovel out 2000 Yen every month, since coming to Japan, I have resorted to tweezing more frequently. I generally tweeze about once to three times a week and that allows me to go through out my months only having to go get my eyebrows done bi-monthly. Whoot!

Now I want to recommend my favorite spot to get my eyebrows done. I have tried two places since coming here, but my favorite is Maris-Gina . Run by Kie Koike, it is in Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan and is a gem of a place! In the States, I am used to the grab and go kind of thing, where they slap some wax on you, make sure your eyebrows are 'even' and then send you on your way. But Kie-san is an artist. 

Normally, I spend about 40 minutes at Maris Gina while Kie works on my eyebrows. She is gentle (so incredibly gentle; I don't ever jump when the wax comes off), precise, and gives me the best waxing jobs I've ever had in my life. Because of that, I am happy to pay the 2000 Yen for my eyebrows. They really do look FANTASTIC after she does them. Kie is also very fluent in English which is a relief for me as well, since when it comes to eyebrows and haircuts, I prefer English speaking locations, primarily because I can tell them more clearly how I want my eyebrows or hair done. Here is the finished product:



(悪くない、ね?)
(Not bad, huh?)

Maris-Gina offers a variety of waxing options as well, including leg and full body waxes. While I have not tried them, if it is anything like getting my eyebrows done, I'm sure it's worth every yen. Also, important, you do need a RESERVATION!! This is not a walk in salon (most places in Japan are not, but you can both call or book online. To find Maris-Gina, you have to go into Asakasa Residential (there isn't a sign out front) and up to the 9th floor to #917. While I normally go there by train, I know there is also paid parking nearby too.

(The outside of Asakasa Residential)

(The entrance to Maris-Gina)

You can also check out Maris-Gina's Facebook page for more information too. So I hope this post helps out another person somewhere in Japan find a good place to get waxing done.
Till next time.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the great post! I just moved to Japan three months ago and I've been searching for a place to have my eyebrows waxed. You're a lifesaver!

    ReplyDelete