Wednesday, October 8, 2014

"In The Heights" at Bunkamura

久しぶりです!
(Long time no see!)

Playing a bit of catch up right now admittedly, so I figured the best place to start would be near the beginning. Living so close to Tokyo has allowed me to go to many musicals, plays, and concerts since my arrival. One of the first that I went to was the Japanese Rendition of "In the Heights" (インザハイツ).

Before I begin, just so you know, this post is going to talk about both the Musical itself and my experience going to said Musical ie. what was the same and what was different in comparison to Broadway, what it was like going to a Show in another country, what I could understand/not understand, what I enjoyed or didn't enjoy, etc. as well as advice I would give to a foreigner going to a musical in Japan.

A bit of background, "In the Heights" is a Broadway Musical that takes place in Washington Heights (Manhattan) and is about a man named Usnavi who dreams of leaving "The Heights".  It's a wonderful musical with beautiful colors, themes, and Dominican influenced music. The original English version also includes various Spanish-lingo within the dialogue and music as well. So how did it translate into Japanese?

In a word: Marvelously.

The Japanese Production starred such names as Micro, Ayaka Umeda (Former AKB48 Member), Chihiro Otsuka, Motomu Azaki, and Yuya Matsushita. (I was also delighted to see one of my other favorite stage named Takuya Uehara starring in it as well). For me, the draw was Singer Yuya Matsushita, who I had wanted to see for... 5 years. So when I heard he would be in Tokyo starring in this musical, I had no choice, I had to go. However, the entire cast was excellent and just wonderfully talented, which I think led to a very successful and fabulous show (more of which I'll talk about near the end).

"In the Heights" was performed the Bunkamura Theatre in Shibuya, a straight shot back from the Hachiko Exit. Bunkamura was a beautiful theatre; very classy and large, perfect for a show from Broadway. Getting tickets for this show proved to be a very different process in comparison to what I was used to though.

Often in America, we go through Broadway websites, or even the show's homepage itself and pay through PayPal or via Credit Card. In Japan, this was my first time experiencing the magic of Ticket Pia or E+ (ePlus). From the Musical's webpage, you go to either of those two sites mentioned above and purchase your ticket through there (you have to make an account first). Now, unfortunately since coming to Japan, one thing I lack is a Japanese Credit Card and a PayPal with 円 (yen) on it. So how do I pay for my ticket?  I register for the ticket, receive an email with a payment number on it and bring it to the local Lawsons / Convenience Store (Konbini / コンビニ). There I pay for my ticket and they print it out! Right then. Right there. Magic! Well not really, but this convenient system is available to most people and used often in Japan.


So the day arrives and I traveled into Tokyo to Shibuya, making sure to check my map for the Theatre before I go as well as the exit I should use at the station. Small note, I recommend if you go to any event in Japan to check and double check your map and the location of the event before you go. Addresses in Japan are VERY confusing sometimes, especially in Tokyo which, unlike Kyoto, is not on a grid system. If you know the station and which exit you should take, that will find that to be a lifesaver sometimes. Thankfully in this case, my exit was the Hachiko exit (a very famous one that I will talk about perhaps in another post).

And then there it was, the Bunkamura!


A little about this particular performance and dress code. I applied the same rule of thumb that I always do with Broadway shows. Dress nicely. No jeans. No T-shirts. Dress pants or a skirt and a nice top. And I'm glad I did. Not all events in Japan are like that, but I have found that the same rules of thumb that you would apply in America apply here. Rock concert? Ripped jeans, ok. Opera? Wear a nice dress. Broadway Musical? A nice skirt and stockings does wonders.

At Bunkamura they displayed "In the Heights" theatre location right at the entrance, both in Romaji and in Kana. I found this to be something that many theatres do (though if it's a Show from Japan with Kanji, they will generally display the Kanji over the Kana).


I got there early and got in line. They scanned my ticket, gave me some fliers, and all of a sudden I was inside a hustling bustling crowd (same thing as Broadway guys). The only thing that I did not get was a pamphlet, which I would have to buy. It happened to be that I did want to buy some items before going to my seat, so I had to locate the line and the store. I have found this to be the same with every performance I've been to so far. You can look at items from afar, but the line will likely always be long and you should look for an assistant at the Theatre or Arena to help you find the line (it likely wraps around some places; my first mistake here, not realizing that they wrapped the line to other places that you can't see). But they were gracious and helpful and showed me where to go, for which I greatly appreciated their help.


I was one of the few foreigners going to this particular performance, but not the only one. The Japanese staff were very helpful and understanding. They clearly guided me to my seat. Particularly at Bunkamura, I found the staff to be very gracious and extremely helpful. 

A different element to Theatre/Concert going that I've found is that you generally DON'T get the option to choose your seat. It goes almost like a lottery. You apply for a ticket and the seat you get is what you get. Sometimes you can choose a "Premiere Seat" or a "Regular Seat", but it depends from location to location. When you get your ticket, it will tell you where your seat is and if you're lucky and able to read it, you might be able to go to the website of the theatre and find the seat chart and see where you need to head to. If you can't read your ticket and don't know where to go, just ask someone working there. 


And then, surprise! I was there! And I was able to watch it. Now, to be fair, my Japanese at the time (I've improved since coming) was not enough to get me through the whole musical and understand everything that was being said. Beforehand, I read a synopsis online of "In The Heights" which helped me understand what was going on significantly. 

However, one of the beautiful aspects of theatre is the ability of the actors to display what they're saying and how they're feeling, through their actions (they are after all, act-ors). If I were just to listen to the music and the narrative without seeing this, I probably still would have been very lost. But with the Synopsis, the Actors themselves, and what Japanese I did know, I was able to follow, understand, and enjoy the musical through every minute of it.

So if you are going to a Musical/Play in Japanese or in any other language that you don't think you will understand, do NOT let the language barrier stop you. Read the synopsis before you go (making sure to know what occurs in each act and if you can, what the musical numbers are) and you will likely enjoy the Musical/Play regardless.


(above shot courtesy of JapanTimes)

As I said before, the actual performance itself was fabulous. But I do want to elaborate on that. It was not just fabulous, it was beautiful, vibrant, raw, and full of emotion. Motomu Azaki, who played Abuela Claudia, brought a powerhouse of vocal strength to the musical. Similarly, Micro, who played Usnavi, brought a culturally rich vibe to the performance with his singing and acting. While there are many in the cast that I could talk about, I must also mention Takuya Uehara. He was perfect for his role as the Piragua Guy. In the past, he has played various serious and comedic roles, and I loved him in this one. He always brought a smile to my face when he got on stage.

Finally, my main reason for going, Yuya Matsushita, who played Benny, did an incredible job in giving a deep emotional center and real feeling to the audience. Just a disclaimer, no I am not being biased. If he had not done a good job, I doubt that I would have understood, nor been able to feel exactly what was happening through out Benny and Nina's love story. Thankfully I did, and I was able to enjoy watching the subplot of the beautiful young love story within the musical.

For a full review on "In the Heights" in Japan (not written by me, but one that I think is pretty accurate), visit this website:


So overall, I would call my first trip to a Musical in Japan a success! I am lucky in that I have been to one since then and have many more to come! I will write of those soon. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment