Sunday, February 22, 2015

キリエ・トロイメンの調べ Translation

Hi guys!

I realize this isn't my normal kind of post, but I figured I'd share it here since it was a challenge and an interesting translation for me to work on in my spare time. Anyway, I finally had the time to sit down and work on this, a basic translation of AKIRA's "Kirei Toroimen no Shirabe", the theme song of the "Vampire Knight Musical".

The Vampire Knight Musical, based off of Matsuri Hino's hit manga, tells the story of Yuki Cross who attends Cross Academy, where she works to guard the secret of the Night Class, who are all vampires. While I hope to write about the musical itself next, for now, I figured I'd post the translation of the theme song. :)

You can buy the song and CD here on CDJapan I believe (I have never used CDJapan before though, so I can't say for sure.) You can also purchase the CD however at the "Animate" stores in Japan, where you can buy AKIRA's "Aoki Tsuki Michite" single (The ending theme song of the new "Black Butler Book of Circus" anime) as well. They do have an online shop, though it is all in Japanese, so it might be difficult for those without yen or with no knowledge of Japanese.

Disclaimer: 

I don't at all claim this to be a completely correct translation. Parts of the song use old language that I am unfamiliar with as well as Katakana words based off of other foreign languages. Also, since this is a song, I was working with incomplete sentences at times, so I had to make my best guess and rework parts of the sentences to have it make sense in English. Finally, to keep the song's original language style, I changed some direct translations of words to ones that would have the same intention in English (ex. the word "hidden" became "secret").

Finally, I do not own this song or make any profit off of this translation.

That being said, I do think this is still pretty close to the correct translation/intention of the song. So I hope you enjoy it!


English Title: "Examination of the Lord’s Trojan Man"

(Cover Art by Matsuri Hino)

Singer: AKIRA
Translation: L. Brooks

Within the black dyed consciousness,
There are eyes harboring madness.
Fangs are laid bare to a smiling figure,
Crime and Punishment blend in Eternalness...

"Oh ... My God, My God,
why have you forsaken Me ... "

Fate of Holy Scriptures.

(Oh,) Lord’s Trojan Man
The divided love screams and suffers the pain.

The Lord’s Trojan Man
The secret imminent prayer melts in the darkness.

I turn to the frozen like look,
The invisible choir’s grieving chant
I am entangled due to this
The intensity increases,
Night approaches from the rear
There is a fearless smile

"Oh ... My God, My God,
why have you forsaken Me ... "

Fate of Holy Scriptures.

(Oh,) Lord’s Trojan Man
The divided love screams and suffers the pain.

The Lord’s Trojan Man
The secret imminent prayer melts in the darkness.

"Oh ... My God, My God, ..."
In light and darkness,
"Oh ... My God, My God, ...
why have you forsaken Me ... "
Just a little goodness, peace….

“I risked the light of destiny,
To know that outcome even if it is short lived,
Even if I fell to the brink of despair,
My hands together in prayer.”

“Love thy enemy,
Pray ye for the responsibility of a matchless person. "

(Oh,) Lord’s Trojan Man
The divided love screams and suffers the pain.

The Lord’s Trojan Man
The secret imminent prayer melts in the darkness.

Before long, the adjacent rose blooms…

A Crimson… a crimson ......



Note: I am pretty sure due to context that AKIRA sings this as though she is several parties.

The majority of the time, I think she sings as a third party or observer, while at other points, she is likely singing as characters from the musical. In the English lines such as "why have you forsaken me", I think she is singing as though she is Zero Kiryu. In the paragraph "I risked the light of destiny...", we get the impression that she is singing as Yuki Cross. And finally, in the "Love thy enemy" section, I believe she is singing from Kaname Kuran's perspective.

I hope that helps in understanding the song a bit more!

Till next time guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment